“Coming home” may look and feel a bit different this year, but the camaraderie and Colonel spirit that Wilkes Homecoming is known for will be in full force. In anticipation of this weekend’s virtual celebration, held on Oct. 2 to 4, here are ten things you may not know about Homecoming 2020.
- Come home while staying home. Homecoming 2020 will use a variety of virtual platforms to keep our alumni connected to campus and each other. Nine separate events will occur via Zoom or Facebook Live that alumni can attend in real time. Email and other ways to connect are available so that everyone can participate.
- From near and afar. Nearly 200 alumni (and counting!) are registered for this weekend’s virtual activities. Reconnect with classmates and friends wherever you are — we even have a Wilkes alum joining us from Germany! Willkommen zurück (welcome back)!
- Meet our newest Colonel, President Greg Cant. If you haven’t visited campus in a while, go on a guided tour with Wilkes President Greg Cant. This Homecoming represents Dr. Cant’s first at Wilkes. Join him for a fun and lighthearted journey across campus. Can’t make the tour? He is also hosting a coffee hour on Saturday morning.
- Honor Dr. Farley and Dr. Mike. Our virtual “Homecoming Headquarters” will feature a slideshow of photos from years past. You may even catch a broadcast of Dr. Francis Michelini’s inauguration, featuring Wilkes’ first president, Dr. Eugene Farley. A link to Homecoming Headquarters will be sent to all who register for any of the weekend’s festivities.
- Mask Up. Purchase your own Wilkes face mask to support the Wilkes Fund. Stay safe while helping our areas of greatest need, like supporting student emergency requests during COVID-19.
- BYOB (Bring Your Own Beverage). More than 25 faculty are registered to mingle with alumni during the weekend. Hear how our faculty are creatively adapting to this unique semester while continuing to meet the needs of our students. Test your Wilkes knowledge with trivia and prizes during our virtual Pints with Professors event.
- New this year… Though we all miss watching our Colonels excel on the playing field, Wilkes alumni are hosting special virtual events for all interests and ages. Want to get moving? Join Cara Basile ’16, MBA ’19, for a fun virtual workout on Saturday morning (all fitness levels welcome). And Bridget Giunta Husted ’05 will host an adorable jewelry-making tutorial so you can create your own Wilkes flair at home.
- Sold! An online auction will allow past, present and future Colonels to bid on a variety of spirited items — from household goods to sports memorabilia and everything in between. Click this link to create a bidder account. All are welcome to participate.
- Two tees to choose. Order a Homecoming t-shirt to show your Wilkes pride wherever you may roam! Alumni have a choice of two designs, which can be ordered by clicking here. Proceeds will be donated to the Wilkes Fund, which supports the most pressing student needs.
- Share the love on social. Use the hashtags #HomecomingIsWhereTheHeartIs and #FamilyOfColonels to share your Wilkes pride.
Learn more and register online at www.wilkes.edu/homecoming.