SHINE of Luzerne County at Wilkes University is bringing the summer camp experience directly to the homes of elementary and middle school students who participate in the after-school program. SHINE is offering a virtual summer camp with weekly themed activities that include hands-on STEAM-based projects and physical activity. The camp, which is free for SHINE students, will run from June 22 through July 30. Sessions will be held Monday through Thursday each week from 9:30 to 11: 30 a.m. The program aims to help keep SHINE students learning all summer in preparation for return to school in the fall.
All sessions will be conducted via ZOOM. The links will be sent to students via email and also posted to the SHINE Facebook group. SHINE is providing materials for the camp and will distribute bags of supplies to campers via a curbside pickup at school sites to be determined. Many activities are planned using items found in the home. Students can participate in all lessons or as much as they wish. Every Monday session will start with a Spanish lesson followed by physical activity and movement. Wednesday mornings will start off with yoga.
The themed weeks and the date each begins are:
- June 22 – Proud to be a Pennsylvanian: Students will learn about our state, its history, interesting facts, participate in virtual field trips to interesting locations, learn about things made in Pennsylvania and participate in STEM activities about the topic.
- June 29 – Art and Poetry: Lessons will cover art history and students will participate in fun art projects, learn about different types of poetry and write their own poems.
- July 6 – Wild Science Week: Students will get to be scientist and participate in a number of fun and exciting experiments.
- July 13 – Meteorology: Students will learn the science behind weather and participate in fun experiments and art related to the topic. They also will learn more about wild weather such as hurricanes and tornadoes.
- July 20 – Exploring Outer Space: Campers will learn about the latest NASA launch, the moon, the planets and what lies beyond planet earth.
- July 27 – Engineering: The final week’s activities will answer the question What is engineering? Campers will learn about different types of engineering while participating in experiments and lessons designed to get them thinking.
To register for the summer camp, SHINE families should contact Carrie Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org
SHINE of Luzerne County at Wilkes University serves students in the Hanover Area, Hazleton Area, Greater Nanticoke Area, Pittston Area, Wilkes-Barre Area and Wyoming Valley West school districts. SHINE, which stands for Schools and Homes In Education, was founded in fall 2015 in Luzerne County. State Sen. John Yudichak and former U.S. Rep. Lou Barletta teamed to bring the program to the community. Wilkes University is SHINE’s higher education partner and serves as home for the program.