Wilkes University and Northampton Community College Announce Agreement for Elementary and Early Childhood Education Students

by Web Services

Wilkes University and Northampton Community College have entered into a new articulation agreement that will help Northampton graduates transfer to Wilkes to complete their bachelor’s degree. Under the new agreement, students who earn an associate degree in early childhood education from Northampton can transfer into the Wilkes bachelor’s degree in elementary and early childhood education as a junior.

Wilkes Vice President of Student Affairs Paul S. Adams and Northampton President Mark H. Erickson signed the agreement on June 5 at Northampton Community College. It formalizes the relationship between the institutions, streamlining the admission process for interested students.

“Wilkes University has a long, successful history in educating students to meet societal needs,” said Adams. “There is a national call for highly qualified early childhood educators. This agreement offers students a seamless pathway to a bachelor’s degree in a rewarding and growing field, while expanding our partnership with Northampton Community College.” 

As part of the agreement, 60 credits earned at Northampton may be applied toward the bachelor’s degree at Wilkes.

“We’re especially excited about this agreement because both NCC and Wilkes offer on-campus and online courses, making this transfer option accessible to students across the state,” said Erickson. “It enhances student access and helps promote student success through transfer, two key elements of the College’s strategic plan.”

Wilkes University’s elementary and early childhood education program leads to pre-kindergarten through fourth grade certification. It includes an 18-credit minor in reading education. Students study how to communicate and engage with young students while learning how to support their teaching with 21st century ideas and technology. For more information, prospective students can call the Wilkes admissions office at (570) 408-4400.

You may also like