Wilkes University will go pink this October to support breast cancer awareness month. Across the University, student groups and athletic teams will host a variety of events.
- Tues., Oct. 1: Clips for Cancer, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Fenner Quadrangle. The American Medical Student Association (AMSA) student chapter will host a hair shaving event which benefits the Medical Oncology Associates Prescription Assistance Fund in Kingston, Pa. Students from Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC), AMSA, commuter council and resident assistants will shave their heads to support the cause. The group will hold a t-shirt sale in conjunction with the event and have ribbons and temporary hairspray for any interested individuals. Donations are welcomed the day of.
- Sat., Oct. 19: Boo Run 5K and Health Fair, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Henry Student Center. Hosted in partnership with Wilkes University, the Nesbitt School of Pharmacy and the Luzerne County Medical Society, Boo Run is a family friendly 5k run/walk through Wilkes-Barre. The community event includes a drug take back, collecting unused, unwanted or expired medications. Needles or liquid medications will not be taken. During the health fair, awards will be given to the best costume for children and adults. Proceeds from this event are used to create public programs and resources.
- Sat., Oct. 19, 12 p.m. Bruggeworth Field: Women’s Soccer Senior Day, Susan Dalton St. Onge Class of 1991. Proceeds in the game against Eastern University will be donated to breast cancer research.
- Tues, Oct. 22, 7 p.m., Marts Center: Women’s Volleyball, Pediatric Cancer Night. The women’s volleyball team will face Desales University.
- Through October, Pinktober T-shirts. The Wilkes cheerleaders will be selling Wilkes Pinktober t-shirts to be worn throughout the month of October. Funds raised will benefit the Susan G. Komen Foundation and the Wilkes University cheerleaders.
Wilkes athletic teams will also sport pink for the month of October.