Accounting students at Wilkes University’s Jay S. Sidhu School of Business and Leadership will offer free tax assistance to the public through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. The service will be offered Feb. 9, 16, and 23 by appointment only from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in room 134 on the first floor of University Center on Main, 169 South Main Street, Wilkes-Barre (corner of South Main Street and West South Street).
Income Tax assistance is by appointment only. Please call (570) 408-4710 and leave a message with your name and phone number. You will be contacted to schedule an appointment.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program offers free tax help to people with household income of less than $54,000 who file basic federal, state, and local tax returns. Anyone interested in the service should bring the following items to the VITA site:
- Photo Identification
- Valid social security cards for the taxpayer, spouse and dependents
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Other relevant information about income and expenses
- Bank routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number
- Health care coverage ( Form 1095) or health care exemption documents
Both spouses must be present for taxpayers who are married and will be filing joint returns.
If there is a question regarding inclement weather and the school being closed, please call (570) 408-7669. An automated message will inform you of the closure.